Just in case success came knocking, I decided to use a nature theme, and also attempt to create a pleasing composition while working quickly and freely.
Mainly, I wanted to get the discharge spray on every single fabric without making a total mess.
Commercial stencils were used to speed things along - I wanted to see the discharge results, pronto!, so didn't take time to make my own.
This experiment enabled me to choose fabrics for my next project based on their discharge properties.
Exactly what I needed!
Next, I wanted to test a couple of foiling effects. I used Bo-Nash fusing powder to make fine sparkles, and foiling adhesive (a special glue) to make the dots.
|Copper foil, two ways|
Next - the quilting test. (What would happen if . . . ?)
To keep their edges soft, yet visible, I decided to quilt the main images (bird, leaves, fern) with a sketchy outline in black thread.
Secondary images (bark, "nest", trees) were quilted by loosely following their shapes. Very loosely. More like reflecting their essence, if you will.
|Quilting detail |
The background was quilted with a very fine (100wt) thread. First, I echoed the main image of the bird. Then, I filled in with leaves (around the bird) and a jagged stipple (around everything else).
I stitched right through the foil sparkles, but avoided stitching over the dots. The foil is soft enough to quilt through, but I didn't want to visually "push" the dots to the back.
Testing thread and quilting effects on these images has been a valuable exercise. Now I'm ready to finish other projects featuring sun prints and bleach discharge!
As an added bonus, I love how this turned out!
Living my mantra of
Try, Learn & Grow!